27 December 2006

A Revolutionary With Nothing to Lose


From the book "Exiles" by Michael Frost:
"A new Christian movement is required, one that recovers the essential powerlessness of the revolutionary. It was Martin Luther King who was noted as having said, 'The real revolutionary is one who has nothing to lose.' (p72)"

Throughout reading this book (I'm in the middle of it now) there are many times I find myself saying, "Yes, yes, yes!" and pumping my fist in the air, passions ignited, and thrilled that I found someone who speaks my language and wrote a book about it!
This quote however made me pause, ponder, and pray, "Dear God, do I have something to lose? Please put me in a position where I have nothing to lose."

I don't want to be the leader (for lack of a better term) that is worried about losing income, or losing people, or losing my reputation, so I end up compromising what I feel God has called me to do. I don't want to be the person that says to someone, "Wow, what a great idea, but it'll rattle too many heads and ruffle too many feathers."

I believe in being a peacemaker. Jesus is our peace and he came to make peace with us and give us the grace to make peace with others. But he also said that he came with a sword and division was inevitable.

"God, throughout my life, give me the wisdom to be a peacemaker, but put me in the position where I have nothing to loose, just like you."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I found Mike's latest book inspiring as well. Don't know if you caught the interview I did with him on it. He has more good thoughts.

David said...

I love Frost. He challenges current thinking and really doesn't care what other think about it.

David said...

Not that I'm complaining, but we certainly have a lot of 'rights' in the West